Image courtesy of [image creator name] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Monday, August 26, 2013

Educate

Information on weight loss is not in scarce supply. The problem for those who are making an effort to lose weight and/or improve their health through diet and exercise is getting slammed with information, so much of it conflicting, that confusion and paralysis can set in.

New books on weight loss featuring the latest greatest plan hit the shelves at dizzying speed. Most offer a promise that if you can just give up this thing or start doing that thing, you will feel better and the pounds will melt away.

My collection of such books:


Over the years, I've given up fat, severely restricted carbs, eaten grapefruit at every meal, given up all animal products, given up grains, and consumed large amounts of coconut oil. Not at the same time. And most of these efforts lasted only a few weeks, except for vegetarianism. 

The only common message I've found in these books is to avoid junk food. None of them have a plan involving the supersize menu at the drive-up window, and the jumbo bags of chips and bottles of sugary drinks are universally chastised. Opinions vary on everything else.

Beyond frustrated at trying to reconcile all of these differing recommendations, I decided to improve my ability to evaluate health advice. I took an online nutrition course offered by the University of California at San Francisco. By no means did this six-week class make me an expert; rather, it inspired me to continue learning. I've since completed a course on food and sustainability, I'm working on one about nutrition and physical activity, and I'm excited about a course on the Nordic diet that begins in a couple of months.

Don't worry, dear blog readers: I'm not suggesting you all sign up for nutrition classes! I'll report back any relevant information I learn. Although if any of you are inclined to sign up for a class, let me know and we can make a study group.



No comments:

Post a Comment