Image courtesy of [image creator name] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Resolutions

Good morning, fitness friends!

The holidays are over and we can now be guided by our good intentions to eat better and exercise more. According to a poll, the most popular New Year's resolution is to "lose weight," with "exercise" and "eat healthier" as separate goals in the top five. So, odds are, you or someone you know is currently recommitting to a diet and exercise plan.

What works? The team behind the Lift App aim to find out by enrolling volunteers in a quantified diet study for the next four weeks. I'm participating and following the DASH diet, which basically seems to be what I was eating most days anyway. I suppose the trick will be to mindfully follow it every day.

I'm also reading Dr. Robert Lustig's book, Fat Chance, to bolster my efforts to avoid sugar. Sugar isn't a banned substance in my diet, but I've learned to treat it as something I should stay away from most days.

We're blessed or cursed, depending on perspective, to live in an age of information overload, so finding resources to help with your food and fitness goals is easy. Whittling away the nonsense can be challenging. I'll continue to share links here and in my Flipboard magazine from sources I trust (although I will occasionally flip something just because it's interesting and provocative).

One of my favorite blogs for healthy recipes is Heidi Swanson's 101 Cookbooks. If you want to stop reading my blog and just read hers, I wouldn't blame you! Of the many delicious recipes and ideas she shares, I'd like to draw your attention to the kale rice bowl, which makes a frequent appearance in various configurations on my weeknight dinner table. It is easy, tasty and versatile, meaning just about anything in it can be substituted for something similar you have on hand. And it would be considered a complete, balanced meal for most diet plans, except perhaps the grain-shunning paleo. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment